Friday, November 4, 2011

The Acid Files

Did you know you can resharpen your farrier rasps with Muratic Acid? Rasps are expensive, especially the fancy Hofnoble German Hoof Plane's I like to use ($70.00 each), so I decided to save a little money.

   I'd seen muratic acid used before- they use it to etch concrete and clean sidewalks (I'd seen that done once) so I thought- hey how hard can it be to do my own rasps? 

   I bought a gallon of acid, and decided that while I vacuumed out the car, I'd let the rasps soak. It was cold outside, so working in the garage seemed like a good idea. I got a big plastic container and started pouring the acid in. I didn't pay much attention to that ugly skull and crossbones, or the directions. 

   I get bored easily, so while the acid was dumping in, I decided to read the container: Caution: highly corrosive, may cause harmful and potentially fatal vapors, use in a well ventilated area, with conditions similar to outdoors." Just then my little girl screams "Mommy, why is the water making smoke!" 

     Oops. 
     I realized I could not feel my tongue anymore, I sent her upstairs and rushed to the garage door. I ran the box o' acid, billowing plumes of white toxic fumes, outside. Looking down, with a dishtowel over my face, I thought, maybe I should have put the rasps in first. I eased one down, and it splashed corrosive juices all over my hand- it didn't hurt that bad, it just sizzled a bit and whiped it on my jeans. I had a great idea, maybe I would throw the rasps in, at a safe distance- there was only 20, how hard could that be? 

      I threw the first one, and it splashed even higher, and hit me in the face. Finally, I just hurled all the rasps into the yard, next to the box, came back with my dish towel over my face, and eased each one into the acid. 

   They're all in, I stood back with satisfaction, hands on hips, and wondered- how the heck am I going to get them back out? 

No comments:

Post a Comment